Mouth Piece (for the horse)Design: Curved mouthpiece with upward curve and jointed barrel in center.
Function: Puts downward pressure on top of the bars, does not collapse on the bars and has no tongue pressure. Each side of the mouthpiece moves independently. With a low palate, may exert some palate pressure. Turns into solid mouthpiece when asking for a stop. Offers tongue relief.
Usage/Solution for: A mild bit, the Myler Ported Barrel mouthpiece works well with the intermediate and finished horse. The independent side movement allows the rider to isolate one side and pick up a shoulder. It is a good bit for a stiff horse with little bend, or the horse which gets behind the bridle.
Cheek (for the rider)Direct action when pressure is exerted on the reins, the same amount of pressure is exerted on the mouth. Sends more direct signal than loose ring. Spindles will not pull through the mouth and will not pinch. When spindles of Full Cheek are attached to the bridle cheekpiece with the use of a bit keeper, the bit also offers slight poll pressure. When the reins are pulled back the rings tilt slightly forward and offer a subtle downward pressure on the poll.
Please Note: There may be up to 6 week wait.
1. Remove drop or flash noseband. With Combinations also remove the Caveson.
2. The bit should sit so that only 1 soft wrinkle appears in the corners of the mouth.
3. There should be about 1/2cm each side of the bit (Not too snug)
4. Bits with Hooks – the reins and cheekpieces of the bridle should pass through
the hooks on the outside of the ring so that the leather is not against the face.
5. Attaching curb chains – the curb chains for the bits with hooks sit higher than on
a double bridle, Pelham etc. (they sit roughly where the caveson would be). The
chain should be initially adjusted so that two fingers can be inserted in the space.
Some horses work better if the chain is tighter than this.
6. Combination bits – The noseband of the combination should be adjusted tight enough
so that it sits horizontal and will not drop down and affect the breathing. Care should
be taken to check this from time to time as the leather will stretch. There should be
enough slack so that the noseband will release when the rider gives the hand.
View your shopping basket
or browse other items.